Lalibela –Woldiya - Mile – Awash – Awash National Park.
Distance covered and time taken.
Route breakdown and details.
• Apparently there is a new tarred road from Lalibela to the “truck highway” from Nazret and Addis to Djibouti. Neither ourselves or T4A located this.
• We did take the dirt road shortcut running east-west to Mile where the north-south truck highway is. This shortcut route goes west to east via the following towns, Geneta Maryan – Dilb – villages of Sakala, Debot, Sanka, Wayineye, Gedober – town of Woldiya.
• At Mile, 282km and 7hr from Lalibela, join the truck highway, an excellent tarred road. Turn south here, although lots of trucks, easy to overtake and safe drivers, made good time.
• From Mile to Awash NP took 5hr for the 316km.
• About 120km from Awash the road deteriorates somewhat with frequent potholes.
• We thus were able to avoid Addis Ababa the next morning, bypassing to the west via Nazret.