Kilifi, Distant Relatives Eco-lodge and Backpackers – Mombasa – inland route – Kinango town – past Shimba Hills National Reserve – Kwale town – A14 tar road – Tiwi Beach and Twiga Lodge.
Distance travelled and time taken.
The 217km took us 6hr 30min.
Route breakdown and directions. (T4A took us straight there).
• The outskirts of Mombasa were reached 1hr and 44km from Distant Relatives.
• In central Mombasa near the turnoff to the ferry at Likoma, we turned north on the Nairobi road (by mistake).
• At S03 47,665 E39 15,734, we turned left (south-east) on a dirt road heading for the coast and the A14. This is 74km from the northern outskirts of Mombasa.
• At S04 08,276 E39 18,888 turn left.
• Immediate right at S04 08,237 E39 18,908.
• Through town of Kinango.
• Pass Shimba Hills Game Reserve 74km and 2hr after turning off Mombasa – Nairobi road.
• Through town of Kwale after 3km.
• Turn right at S04 11,644 E39 32,685, 12km from Kwale.
• Left again at S04 13,740 E39 34,419 after a futher 5km.
• This is a short cut to the tarred A14 road where one turns left.
• The signposted turnoff to Twiga Lodge is 3km down the road turning to the east (right).
• Turn left at S04 14,495 E39 35,769, after 3km.
• Finally turn right again at S04 14,293 E39 35,820 and Twiga Lodge is 1km down the road.