I am going to post the route circumnavigating Lake Burera in detail as I believe many more self-drive travelers should consider going on this excursion.
Kinigi (Volcanoes NP) – Musanze – road to Cyanika Border with Uganda – Kabaguma Village – Rondo Village – Kirambo Village – Umugu Village – Kidaho Village on the Cyanika road – back to Musanze and Volcanoes NP.
Total distance and time taken.
To and from Musanze (Ruhengeri): 4 hr, 90km, but many stops to admire the view and take photos, could probably do in 3 hr.
To and from Kinigi: 5hr, 122km.
Route Breakdown and detail.
• Kinigi to Musanze- Cyanika tar road, then turnoff to the right on gravel, signposted Ntaruka, about 10km north of Musanzi. GPS co-ords S01 27,510 E29 48,875.
• Turnoff to Kirambo Village, 33km 1hr 50min.
• Kirambo to Umugu Village, 31km, 1hr 20min.
• Umugu back to tar on Cyanika/Musanze road, 7km.
• Tar to Musanze, 18km, 30min.
• Msanze to Kinigi, 13km, 25min.
NOTE: There are some obscure forks in the road between Kirambo and Umugu Villages. To make it easier we mapped some of the GPS points.
1. After Kirambo the road forks after 2km, keep left.
2. Next fork in the road is at S01 24,246 E29 49,937, keep left to Umugu (right goes to Butaro).
3. Final fork in this road at S01 23,041 E29 48,004, keep left to Umugu (right goes to village of Kinyababa).